Advocacy and You…It’s Time To Get Involved!
Did you know: More than 100 vape shops have closed since the 40% wholesale tax and floor (kill) tax was implemented?
Don’t think you can do anything to change it? You are wrong!
Does this sound familiar? We have posted these lines before in our blog. But the fact of the matter is that we do still need you! A lot of advocacy groups are non-profit and mainly function off of your donations or sometimes even money out of their own pockets! It’s not an easy job, keeping up with all the politics & regulations, calling vape shops & owners, contacting the lobbyists and the constant trips to the capital and Washington DC to meet with our policymakers. But these people want to keep the vaping industry alive. They are passionate and dedicated about this industry, so they push past the struggles to keep going. Many of these organizations are in it to help vaping rights not only in PA but all over our nation. For example, in PA we are battling a 40% wholesale tax on all vaping products. But did you know: On June 20th, 2017, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to pass legislation that will make San Francisco the first municipality to ban the sale of flavored tobacco and eliquid products, including menthol cigarettes. The vaping battle spans far and wide across our country! That is why donating, participating in the call to action events, calling or writing your legislation, joining advocacy groups and spreading education about vaping is crucial! These groups make it possible for our voices are heard! We need to stand beside these tremendous individuals and make a stand for our vaping rights! Visit the sites below, learn what’s going on in the industry. Take the time to call or email these groups to learn more about what you can do to help today. The time to act is now….and WE DO NEED YOU!
Here is a list of the bigger, more well-known advocacy groups. Some are state organizations, and others are nation-wide organizations. You pick the groups you wish to support but we ask you to support at least one. Make a difference and take a stand!
- Pennsylvania Smoke-Free Association: The Pennsylvania Smoke-Free Association’s mission is to keep the vapor markets competitive for both small and big players, to ensure the long-term viability of the industry, to defeat bills that stifle innovation critical to public health, and to transform the public debate on electronic cigarettes aka vapor products. Additionally, to influence the language of new bills while information forging new relationships with public and state elected officials. Phone# 610-621-3008, Email: email@example.com, Website: pasmokefree.org
- Vapor Technology Association (VTA): Represents the manufacturers, wholesalers, small business owners and entrepreneurs who have developed innovative and quality vapor products, providing adult consumers with a safer alternative to traditional combustible products. Phone# 312-498-6060, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: vaportechnology.org
- Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives (CASAA): Their mission is to ensure the availability of a variety of effective, affordable, reduced-harm alternatives by increasing public awareness and education, advocating for responsible legislative and regulatory policy designed to improve public health, and to promote the benefits to reduce harm alternatives. Phone#202-241-9117, Email: email@example.com, Website: casaa.org
- The Vaping Militia: They are committed to protecting the rights and health of vapors by advocating for safe public use of personal vaporizers. They strongly believe and promote peaceful and professional activism and advocacy. Phone# 281-506-8273, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: thevapingmilitia.org
- The Vape A Vet Project: Their primary focus is to help veterans conquer tobacco habits by providing a healthier alternative at no cost to them. Both active duty and prior service members are eligible. Phone#: 480-269-6076, Email: email@example.com, Website: vapeavet.org
- The American Vaping Association (AVA): Is a non=profit organization that advocates for policies that encourage the growth and sustainability of small – and medium-sized businesses in the rapidly growing vaping and electronic cigarette industry. Phone#: 202-251-1661, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: vaping.org
- Smoke-Free Alternatives Trade Associations (SFATA): Their mission is to advocate for a reasonably regulated U.S. marketplace which allows our member companies to provide smoke-free products and adult consumers that are an attractive choice while promoting a positive public image for vapor products and education business in our industry. Phone#: 202-251-1661, Email: email@example.com, Website: sfata.org